History of Smith Metal Products
Smith Metal Products employs over 50 years of molding experience and has an extensive range of material systems designed to offer the utmost flexibility of any MIM/CIM producer. Smith is a division of Plastic Products Company, Inc. which is one of the largest Employee owned molders in the United States. Since 1957 our company has offered highly engineered solutions to customers manufacturing needs.
From Quality System requirements to capital equipment investment, Smith has the experience and the capability to insure your project is a success. Our competitive advantage lies in highly experienced personnel, state of the art equipment, commodity based feedstock systems and a proprietary processing technology that all guarantee our customers needs are met and exceeded.
Major historical events
- 1957 Founded as a mold design and build company named Smith Metal Products.
- 1962 First molding machines purchased and name changed to Plastic Products Company (PPC).
- 1982 Reached 3 Plastic Molding Divisions and 300 employees.
- 1989 Formed ESOP and became 30% employee owned.
- 1996 Smith Metal Products formed within PPC to pursue commercialization of Metal and Ceramic Injection Molding.
- 1998 Launched Dedicated Powder Injection Molding (MIM & CIM) Facility.
- 2000 Reached 7 Plastic Molding Plants and 750 employees.
- 2012 Smith opened a new 60,000 square foot state of the art MIM/CIM facility.